Selective androgen receptor modulator (SARMs)
SARMs provide the ability to design molecules that can be delivered orally, but that selectively target the androgen receptors in different tissues differently. They are intended to have the same kind of effects as androgenic anabolic steroids but be much more selective in their action. One substantial advantage of SARMs developed to date is that they are all orally active without causing liver damage, whereas most anabolic steroids are not active orally and must be injected, and those anabolic steroids that are orally active tend to cause dose-dependent liver damage.
What are SARMs?
SARMs stands for Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators. SARMs are synthetic compounds that retain some of the muscle building or anabolic properties of testosterone, but do not share other properties. Instead of indiscriminately activating all different types of androgen receptors in the human body, they are selective for certain subtypes of receptors. These compounds also stimulate anabolic activity, but they only work on receptors in muscle and bone. Since SARMs are less androgenic than many of the anabolic steroids out there, they can distinguish and “select” between anabolic activity and androgenic effects. SARM provide the properties of anabolic steroids to a limited degree, and they can help bodybuilders (and patients if for medical use) avoid a lot of the side effects that can come with steroid use.
Are SARMs as good as anabolic steroids?
Most bodybuilders will tell you that they do not produce results as fast as taking illegal anabolic steroids. However, given than they are safer in comparison, this is usually a worthwhile trade-off.
What are the benefits of SARMs?
- SARMs promote an anabolic effect
- SARMs are for oral use, therefore, no injections are required
- SARMs provide significant gains in muscle growth
- SARMs Imitate the effects of testosterone when it comes to body fat loss, libido, and strength gains
- SARMs do not convert to DHT (Dihydrotestosterone)
- SARMs pose no risk of premature hair loss or balding
- SARMs do not convert to estrogen
- SARMs pose less of a risk of androgenic effects
- SARMs do not inhibit HPTA as much as anabolic steroids do
- SARMs have less or no liver toxicity
- Some SARMs are undetectable on standard drug tests
Which are the most potent SARMs out there?
Some of the most potent SARMS on the market include LDG-3303 and LDG-4033, also referred as Ligandrol. For example, bodybuilders and athletes who take Ligandrol can sometimes gain up to 15 pounds of lean muscle in just one cycle.
Are there any side effects from using SARMs?
Generally, it is believed that SARMs are safer alternative to anabolic androgenic steroids. Some of the side effects of the use of SARMs include:
- Viralization (in females)
- Blurred vision
- Increased Blood Pressure
- Testosterone Suppression